disclaimer

Disclaimer: I am not a medical doctor or a practicing nutritionist or in the agriculture industry, therefore any health-related or agriculture-related information posted on this blog should be verified on your own. I do not know it all and sometimes I might be wrong.

Saturday, January 31, 2015

Widgets

My visit to a nutritionist

I'm back…..well maybe….we'll see…..HAPPY NEW YEAR!

First visit (November):
Lots of good information!!!! My nutritionist asked for what my diet consist of and I told her some of it. Her conclusion was my diet is a typical American diet and there is a lot of sugar. It's not really a "typical" American diet but whatever. I didn't really explain in great detail. My lunch meals vary a lot and most Americans (or those that have lived here long enough) will not cook or think to eat what I eat. No one I know to a large extent eats the way I eat.

Regardless, she was right about the sugar content in my diet. Lots of carbs!!! Sometimes I eat better carbs but trying to reduce the grains (e.g. oats, spelt), sweet fruits (e.g. pineapple), and sugar is going to be VERY difficult. I have come a long way to eliminate and/or reduce A LOT of foods out of my life for good. I thank God!!! Only by His grace. There is definitely a strong need for more improvement and more research, which I sort of already knew but needed to be reminded of. The research I need to do is endless. There is so much I want to learn and need to learn, geez! But I like it. It gets my attention.

She also mentioned Vitamin D. There are only 2 effective ways to attain vitamin D, which is through the sun or vitamin supplements. I have been skeptical about supplements for a while because of my lack of research. Which brand can I trust? How are supplements manufactured? I will need to quit my job for good to get more time in the sun (oh HOW I WOULD LOVE THAT!!!!!!). Quite sad that I am barely in the sun.

I will need to boost up my protein in-take. I did reduce the amount of beef and chicken I eat because of high cost and I thought I don't really need to eat meat as often. So now my nutritionist wants me to include protein for breakfast, which I rarely do. My breakfast is typically carb-loaded with maybe little protein.

Second visit (December):
I got the results back from 2 out of 3 tests (from Spectracell and LabCorp) I did. Takes 5 weeks to receive the results.

Not the results I expected or you might think:
  • From the Ferritin blood test, I am anemic. My iron levels are very low.
  • I am also low/deficient in: vitamin D (expected), vitamin B12, folate, and oleic acid.
  • I am borderline deficient in: Pantothenate, vitamin D3, vitamin C, calcium, zinc, Spectrox, Immunidex (antioxidant)
  • My body has a good level of other vitamins and minerals such as manganese, copper, vitamin E, biotin, choline, vitamin A, and so on. Yiipee!!
My nutritionist said I will need to take supplements for iron, vitamin D, vitamin B12/folate, and Ultimate Antiox. The whole anemic thing sort of threw me off because I have never been told I am anemic. Never took this ferritin blood test but I looked at my past blood tests (Complete blood count test) for hemoglobin and hemocrat and I am within range. But my diet has changed since then. I pray this is not genetic and can be reversed with diet and temporary supplementation. The only obvious sign of low iron that I have is being sensitive to the cold. I need to stay warm and cannot have the AC running for too long. I've been like that for years.

My other problem I have is drowsiness from time to time. This occurs shortly after a high carb meal, at times, or even when fasting. This also occurs during meetings and at the movie theaters, but not every single time. I refuse to drink caffeinated beverages to stay awake although this is a typical solution for many Americans. My logic is you should be able to stay alert and awake unless you have some serious health defects or conditions. And coffee to me is like drinking water. It has ZERO effect on me. I cannot drink Coke because it's purely disgusting. My nutritionist suggested I do a 1-week low-carb diet to see how my body reacts without little to no carbs. She also feels it could be my cortisol levels, which could be that it is abnormal during certain times of the day. They say it is more common with women. To check for cortisol will involve doing a saliva test. Anyway, the search for the root cause continues.......


In short, it looks like for now I will be taking 4 dietary supplements and will have to maintain a low-carb, low-grain diet (due to certain reasons, one being the lectins and phytates found in grains and legumes). I will also to need to incorporate moderate exercise, but after I figure out what the hell my diet should consist of, which is my #1 frustration. AMERICA O AMERICA, if you did not already know, you are one f-ed place. Well I thank God I was able to do these tests now than later. In 8 months, I can redo these tests and check for improvements. Praying for great health!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving your feedback! Please feel free to leave a link to your blog as you post comments. Nice to know someone is reading this :)

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.