I will start off by answering frequently asked questions.
Did you go for work or vacation?
Vacation
Why did you choose Singapore?
Several reasons - safe for solo travelers, they speak English, flight ticket was below $1000, it's on my bucket list to visit Joseph Prince's church, testing ground for another trip, etc.
How did it feel traveling alone?/Does it feel weird traveling alone?
Frankly, it feels great! There is nothing like independence and freedom. Never felt bored. I could go at my own pace.
Why did you travel alone?
It was a personal decision bursted out of frustration. Last year, I made attempts to travel with others (searched for flights, groupon deals). There was always an issue: their schedule changed or lack of finances. It was not the first time it happened and it will not be the last. So why should I keep waiting on others?
Quick facts about Singapore
- They drive on the left
- The official languages are: English, Mandarin, Malay
- Gained its independence from Great Britain in 1965
- Singapore is a mix of mostly Chinese, Indian, and Malay
- Strict laws on civil obedience (e.g. fined up to $1000 for littering, sale of chewing gum is forbidden, importation of drugs is automatically a death sentence including tourists, fined for not flushing public toilets)
Stayed at one place the entire trip. Used airbnb.com for my first time. It was a 5 bedroom, 2 bathroom apartment located in Chinatown. New guests were coming in every 2 days or so and kept to themselves when I was in. Worked out perfectly.
Highlights of the trip (See photos below)
- Universal Studios
- Visit to Palau Ubin
- Gardens by the Bay
- Visiting Joseph Prince's church, New Creation Church
- Admiring the architectural design of Marina Bay Sands Hotel
- I spent 3 to 4 hours each morning planning out the day due to procrastination
- Batam Island - It's part of Indonesia. Found out about it two days before and had regrets after I arrived. Did not do enough research and the language barrier was a major reason. Only good thing is I made a friend.
- National Museum of Singapore - I was hoping to see the history of Singapore but it was under renovation for the next couple of weeks. There was only a showcase of products made in Singapore. Complete waste of time.
- People were generally very friendly and willing to help even if I did not ask
- Tourist-friendly - very easy to navigate around since people speak English and signs are in English
My first day in Singapore and the very first activity of the day was seeing Joseph Prince live at his church!!! Love that guy!
Walked around Chinatown - there are tons of souvenir shops (for very cheap prices); several restaurants; the Buddha Tooth Relic Temple & Museum
The temple from the outside
Took the 24-hour City Sightseeing bus hop-on, hop-off tour around town
Marina Bay Sands - The high-end mall, a rain oculus, Louis Vutton island, my celebrity crush
This is the Flower Dome at the Gardens by the Bay. I officially want a flower garden!
Marina Bay in the day and at night - Merlion statue (half lion, half fish), Esplanade, Laser show by Marina Bay Sands, Singapore flyer (world's largest observation wheel), light show at Gardens by the Bay. I adore the Marina Bay Sands Hotel because of the fancy architecture and the view from its infinity pool.
The Orchid Garden at Botanic Gardens - the world's largest collection of orchids. Orchids are my favorites!
Visit to Palau Ubin (Singapore's village) - I love nature! You can only access the island by a jetty. As I toured the island alone, I met locals and other tourists. Went mountain biking and saw all the quarries (except one), mangrove trees, wild hogs, birds, monkeys, durian trees, etc.
4 hour trip to Batam Island (Indonesia) - walked through Mega Mall Batam Centre, saw the iconic Barelang Bridge (connects 6 small islands to Batam), visited Melayu Beach (on Rempang Island). Rupiah (the currency) is very undervalued. $1 is 13,800 rupiah. A 3-hour taxi ride was about $25.








Lovely pics Anne! Always nice to see someone who just goes for it! Traveling alone is a retreat in itself😊
ReplyDeleteThanks Kepo! It really is :)
DeleteWelcome to the world of solo traveling! There are many many advantages to traveling by yourself. Do what you want when you want. Its a dream. Of course, the safety in numbers thing crops up once in awhile but I brush it aside and move on. Your photos are gorgeous, especially of the flowers. Did you use a gallery function to add them or create collage elsewhere?
ReplyDeleteThanks Tricia! I created the collage via the PhotoGrid app on my phone and uploaded it through the Blogger app. Do you have a blog?
DeleteYes, The Adventure List. I started the FB group Blog Boost Travelers and going around checking out everyone's sites and following. :)
DeletePS I tried your Instagram button but it said the link was broken.
ReplyDeleteYou're right. Thanks for letting me know! :)
Delete