Why have I chosen to not use anti-perspirants?
The truth is you are supposed to sweat. It's natural. Therefore I am against the use of anti-perspirants. In a way, it is considered a drug because it affects the body’s physiology. I discovered some years back that anti-perspirants contain an aluminum-based compound, which blocks sweat. Read this to learn how anti-perspirants decrease your sweat by 20%. There are several other ingredients used in anti-perspirants like perfumes/fragrances, propellants, parabens, skin conditioners, etc. Also, it blocks one of your body's routes for detoxification (releasing toxins via your underarm sweat). So these are enough reasons for me to never again use anti-perspirants especially when there are too many dodgy ingredients.
What do I use?
Thai Deodorant Stone (see photos below). I think I discovered it while browsing on Amazon or at least somewhere on the Web. Been using it for 3 years. Initially I thought it wasn't doing anything so I stopped using it for some months then got back to using it after trying other "natural" deodorants. I also make one from scratch. It consists of 50:50 arrowroot starch and baking soda. I only use it on the day I shave my armpits to avoid skin irritation.
What about the unpleasant odor produced when one sweats?
The stone itself has no smell. Somehow it prevents the bacteria that cause odor from forming on the skin. You can always re-apply. For me, once I apply it in the morning, it pretty much lasts me the whole day. I check my armpits from time to time and most times (even if I'm sweating just a little bit), there's no armpit odor. By using this, I have discovered how easy it is to sweat although I'm not a profuse sweater.
How do you use it?
If you do not apply the deodorant stone directly after bathing or showering, moisten the top of the rock and apply generously to clean skin. You can also apply this on your feet.
What is it made out of?
Mineral salts (see photo below)
Unsure if it working?
This is what I wondered too. You will know that it is working when you cannot smell any odor emitting from your armpits. If you can't see it on your armpits, test it on your arm. Moisten the stone then rub it on your arm. Let that area dry and you will see white crystals appear.
Yes I will perspire but so what? It isn't pretty but I accept it and move on. Now there are some so-called 'natural' deodorants that do not work and are not effective but once I discovered this one, I haven't bothered to try others. I recommend Thai Deodorant Stone if you don't care about sweating.
This is the stone I currently have as of today. Purchased it on 1/12/2012.
This is a brand new one



Well, I had no idea you could get something like this! I'm always looking for natural alternatives to, well, everything, so I will definitely try this. And it's clearly more Eco-friendly than a aerosol spray can! Why haven't I heard of this before?? Thanks for letting me know, Anna!
ReplyDeleteAmandaSays
I'm always looking for natural alternatives too. And no problem!
DeleteI never thought of the effects a deodorant has, thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteNeeny x
Np!
Delete