disclaimer

Disclaimer: I am not a medical doctor or a practicing nutritionist or in the agriculture industry, therefore any health-related or agriculture-related information posted on this blog should be verified on your own. I do not know it all and sometimes I might be wrong.

Saturday, October 3, 2015

Widgets

Atlantic Salmon

I am a novice to seafood and boy did I make the mistake of NOT asking the most important question before making a selection from Rose's Seafood (located in Kemah, TX). I forgot to ask if it is wild-caught. The salmon I purchased was shipped from Canada. I had no idea what salmon type it was until I called them. I was hoping it was king salmon (usually wild-caught).

You might be wondering what is the big deal. Well, it is a BIG deal....to me. My concern is I had no clue that atlantic salmon is extensively farmed and fishing for Atlantic salmon is prohibited, especially in the US. However, I was aware that some salmon species are farmed. Many people have no idea that atlantic salmon is farmed.

What is fish farming?
It is also known as aquaculture. It is defined as the raising, breeding and harvesting of fish. These fish can be raised in freshwater (ponds, lakes, rivers, oceans or bays) and may be in a natural or man-made environment. There are several farming systems. The farmed fish consumption is predicted to increase tremendously by 2030.

What are they fed?
Farmed fish and shrimp eat feed that are formed into pellets, similar in many ways to dry dog food. This feed could be any of the following: soybeans, barley, rice, peas, canola, lupine, wheat gluten, corn gluten, other various plant proteins, yeast, insects and algae. Bare in mind that some of these might be derived from GMOs (genetically modified organisms). The other issues are: higher levels of chemical contaminants (e.g. PCBs, dioxins, pesticides), the use of antiobiotics, lower omega-3 fats.

Why am I against fish farming?
I should eat as close to the best that is out there. Fish eating what they were naturally created to eat in their natural habitat. Unless there is a better method, I do not understand why anyone, including myself, should eat farmed fish.  What the fish eats, you are essentially eating. Each time we purchase farmed fish, we are contributing to the industry. As long as the fish population continues to survive, the aquaculture industry will continue to stay afloat.

References:
http://www.seafoodwatch.org
If I could return this salmon, I would immediately. You live and you learn. *sighs*


2 comments:

  1. That's a great looking piece of salmon. I'm always afraid of overcooking and drying out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anthony! I was afraid of it drying out too. It tasted better than any fish I have pan-fried or baked. I did some reading on how to cook salmon before cooking it and these were the tips I used: leave part of the salmon translucent (for moisture), leave the skin on, and finish cooking on low heat.

      Delete

Thanks for leaving your feedback! Please feel free to leave a link to your blog as you post comments. Nice to know someone is reading this :)

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.