It just isn't. For me, farm-to-table dinners are better than your average or high-end restaurant. There are more benefits for everyone.
I was last at Animal Farm a few months ago for their farm-to-table dinner. I truly enjoy coming out here! It's a one hour drive from central Houston. I would rather do this than dine at the finest restaurant in town.
This time around, there were much more people (approximately 50), a different menu, more small talk, no mosquito bites, better weather, little kids, more dogs (almost turned into a war....scary moment), and lots of good information. Nonetheless, it was awesome! Got a chance to ask the owner more questions.
So what is Animal Farm all about? Why do I like them?
Animal Farm practices permaculture, which can be defined as a design process for ecological and sustainable living, integrating plants, animals, buildings, people, and communities. From a farming/gardening perspective, permaculture can use animals, insects, and other natural resources to work together to help ensure the survival of the crops.
As far as I can see, their farming principles is the definition of what a farm should be. What I find fascinating is the lady that runs Animal Farm started with no agricultural background and today, she supplies food to several restaurants in Houston and customers in Austin and Houston. Animal Farm is the only "certified" organic farm closest to Houston. Also, they live off the grid and use solar power. Pretty darn awesome!!!
The next farm-to-table dinner is next month! If you live in the vicinity of Houston and you're interested, sign up here.
My friend and I
Before dinner was prepared and served (next 3 photos)
Freshly made vegetarian Pizza and Pizza with meat - the flatbread dough from scratch; the toppings and sauces were directly from the farm; not sure where the cheese is from
Farm Tour by Gita
Upper left: Swiss/Rainbow Chard
Upper right: Basil (we were surprised at the size and height)
Lower right: I think it's some aluminum material to protect the crops being grown (I wasn't paying attention)
Arugula greens salad with persimmon vinaigrette, cucumbers, melon, and a squash tart
Grouper fillet with a persimmon puree and a mix of green leaves
Missing photo - a dish with braised buffalo
Vegetarian dish - ate part of it before I realized that I needed a photo
Dessert….gluten-free kobacha squash & pistachio cake with cold brewed Colombian coffee and a liqueur-based butter
The food was prepared by the wonderful Chef Chandler Rothbard and Chef German Mosquera.




Lovely photos, seems like a lot of fun :)
ReplyDeleteI love the look of that vegetarian pizza, I want to try some!
Neeny | Spoon Full Of Yum
Nice post, thanks so much for this sharing!
ReplyDelete