I had some for my first time a few weeks ago. Never knew such a thing like this exists. Not sold in the grocery stores. I have only heard of "indian corn." This red corn taste different from yellow corn. Grown by an organic farm called Animal Farm Center. They are based in Cat Springs, TX but come out every Saturday to Urban Harvest Farmer's Market @ Eastside and every Tuesday at Rice University Farmer's Market.
Some facts I found on the web:
- The red color in Red corn is created by the plant pigment, anthocyanin. It changed to purple yellowish after it was cooked.
- Anthocyanins are flavinoids that may help increase the antioxident capacity of the blood and may help maintain good brain function.
- Red corn provides twenty percent more protein than white corn or yellow corn.
My mantra: "Eat for nutrition, not for taste"
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for leaving your feedback! Please feel free to leave a link to your blog as you post comments. Nice to know someone is reading this :)
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.