disclaimer

Disclaimer: I am not a medical doctor or a practicing nutritionist or in the agriculture industry, therefore any health-related or agriculture-related information posted on this blog should be verified on your own. I do not know it all and sometimes I might be wrong.

Monday, September 1, 2014

Widgets

Why have I chosen to eat "healthy"?

I eat for nourishment. The reasons are endless compared to eating every little thing I enjoy more and taste good. But I'll explain.

My journey of a better diet began after leaving my parents’ home (late 2007), which was the best decision I ever made. I got a chance to choose what, when, and how I want to eat. Grocery shopping under my parents was predictable and not much variety or of high nutritional value. I would say it was the independence plus the flexibility of my job (at that time) is what blossomed my venture for healthy eating. Slowly but surely I began to buy less frozen, microwaveable, pre-packaged, and canned items.


The following is a combination of my reasons and observations of my diet thus far:
  • I keep a food log and this has allowed me to pay more attention to my body. I have noticed so many things. Some I still need to investigate on the root cause.
  • I have noticed that I have at least 1 bowel movement a day and no constipation (constipation was a major issue when I was in my teens - never drank water)
  • 99% of the time I drink water and I used to HATE it. I only hate the mere fact that it makes me urinate more often. At one point I was drinking too much water close to bedtime that I would wake up in the middle of the night and could not fall asleep.
  • The foods I used to eat and no longer eat at all (or at a very, very rare moment) are: Pringles, Grocery store ice cream, Restaurant Chinese food, Doritos chips, popsicles, Totino's frozen pizzas, honeybuns, White Bread, Packaged cookies, Papa John's pizza, Burger King, Wendy's, Cereal, donuts, any meat sold at a restaurant or store or other places, french fries, Cheetos, hot dogs, Pretzels, cream of wheat, candy [Jolly Rancher, Starbust, lollipops, milky way, reese's pieces, Hershey's milk chocolate].....(this list is endless).
  • I have eliminated soda and processed/pasteurized juices from my diet for good
  • When I eat food that I cook, I never overeat. Almost every time I eat any packaged/processed food I like, I overeat.
  • I do not need to eat to get full. I eat just enough to satisfy my belly. I eat 3 meals and a snack in between.
  • For the most part, my weight remains steady. I don't really check my weight but judging by whether my pants feel looser/tighter or my bras are looser/tighter is how I know if I gained or lost weight.
  • It has become a MAJOR eye-opening learning experience! There are so many natural foods available on earth. Still learning new things about food and the food industry.
  • I rarely get canker sores caused by food
  • I hate using medicine
  • Drastic change in taste buds (e.g. lower sugar tolerance, some restaurant foods I used to eat I cannot stand)
  • About 50% to 60% of my groceries come from my local farmers' market and the rest from chain grocery stores
  • My money is going back into the local economy (small businesses) rather than into the hands of the most SELFISH, GREEDY, EGOCENTRIC corporations. It makes sense to invest in your local community. Those corporations will only grow bigger and bigger the more you and I buy from them. Bear in mind that your local farmers that strive to produce crops with little to no chemicals using sustainable methods need support too. If you don't trust them, then get to know them. (Think local first + Buy local when you can = Being a local)
  • I still look 9 years younger than my age (could be genetics, who knows lol)
  • Eating healthy has forced me to learn how to cook and avoid eating out of a box
  • I believe it is a necessity to eat well in order to sustain a healthy, cost-effective life. Not just for me, but for all. Real food should be accessible to all. 

So give me 1 solid, rational reason why I should stick to eating the foods I enjoy the most? Maybe I will reconsider….yea right. 

Yes my biggest problem is eating outside of my home. See…..this is why if there is no push to change America's food industry, it will only get worse. There are much more restaurants in a 10 mile radius than access to fresh produce (grocery stores or farms) in the city I live in.

My dream one day is to never be stuck with having to buy from a commercial grocery store and instead meet my health needs through owning an organic farm. Or I might partner with organic farms that have all the crops and animals I need. I dream to have everything that enters my body and is applied externally organically produced. Hippocrates said, “Let food be thy medicine” and that is what I want to abide by.

The food industry is out to get money by any means in the most cost-effective (on a business standpoint) way possible as long as it’s “legal” and are not concerned about the health of others or probably their health. If every consumer were to know the entire truth about every product that comes in direct contact with the body sold in all US commercial grocery stores, all companies would have to shut down or at least undo their business strategies. And they damn right know it! There is too much deceit!

I think the bottom line is after seeing the demise of my mother with her battle against cancer, watching the Food Inc documentary, and reading about the modification of modern whole wheat (it's a hybrid), I decided to put much more effort to cultivate healthy eating habits not just at home but when I’m not home. I will not take my health for granted. I cannot guarantee how old I will live or whether I will not get sick but "prevention is better than cure." It is only God who I can ultimately trust to keep me in good health. But at least I can say I don't have any regrets in making the time and money to invest in my health. 

In short, just like you might value your family, your car, or your job, you should also value your health.

3 comments:

  1. Absolutly true self concious@koko

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You asked why I eat healthy besides living to the age of 100….here it is. And I mentioned my biological mom here…I guess you forgot

      Delete

Thanks for leaving your feedback! Please feel free to leave a link to your blog as you post comments. Nice to know someone is reading this :)

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.