disclaimer

Disclaimer: I am not a medical doctor or a practicing nutritionist or in the agriculture industry, therefore any health-related or agriculture-related information posted on this blog should be verified on your own. I do not know it all and sometimes I might be wrong.

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Widgets

Tidbits of my introverted life

This is what I have been told once or a couple of times (in regards to my personality & countenance):
  • You are nonchalant.
  • You are anti-social.
  • Your face looks mean...too serious....protective....unfriendly.
  • You are quiet/You are too quiet.
  • You look stuck up.
  • You are calm.
  • You are like an onion.
The easiest way to describe my personality is to say I am an introvert. What is an introvert? Go read Quiet by Susan Cain. The dictionary definition doesn't do justice.

About me:

  • I have always been reserved from birth.
  • I enjoy solitude a LOT. I can talk to myself for hours!!!
  • I don't need energy from people. In fact, being around people for too long can be very draining. I need space after a while.
  • Sometimes I am shy (NOT all introverts are shy and NOT all shy people are introverts). There are times I would like to talk to a person but because I don't feel fully comfortable I might delay talking to him or her or just all together not even bother.
  • I do like meeting new people (most of the time).
  • Small talk is VERY annoying and I feel it is only appropriate when meeting someone the first or second time. Also, it is ok as a conversation opener but not every single time. Because of this, I tend to avoid a lot of people who do small talk. E.g. "How are you liking the weather?" Like is that a serious question??? You expect an answer?
  • So yes, I might see you from a distance and avoid eye contact or saying hello merely because I am not in the mood for small talk, which is like 95% of the time :D
  • I still rather have someone initiate a conversation partially because I have always been like that and I have never been a good conversationalist. [I know I have improved over the years]
  • I struggle with keeping a conversation going if I cannot think of anything to talk about. My mind goes blank many times when talking to a stranger or someone I do not feel 100% comfortable with. 3 minutes later, things I could have said starts flowing through my head (ugh!).  
  • I am private but I will open up if you ask me questions and I feel you are trustworthy and willing to listen, depending on the topic. I am selective of what I spill out and to whom. I know people who are trustworthy but I feel are not willing to listen or are willing to listen but not trustworthy.
  • I generally tend to listen more than talking. Sometimes I have no feedback. So if you catch me in a group setting not talking, it's not always because I don't want to talk. Sometimes I'm thinking and just taking everything being said in or I simply don't have any contribution. For a long time, I didn't undersand why I was asked "Are you ok?" just because he/she noticed I am not talking.  
  • I think a lot and I believe my brain is slow to process information so I have never been good at: interviews, impromptu speeches, or answering unplanned questions on the spot. Almost every time, I need some time to think it through ahead of time. So pretty much, I am unable to think on my feet very quickly. If you catch me taking forever to answer a question or express myself, this is probably the reason. 
  • I rather express myself in writing than verbal communication.
  • I have never been one to fit in so I could never "pretend" to be extroverted like A LOT of introverts do (no wonder there are folks who say they are introverted and I begin scratching my head). It takes a lot of work for me to pretend. I don't need to be popular or feel the need to be accepted by all.
  • I am not purposely rude but it can sound like I am. But I see it as just being real. Or would you rather have me lie?
  • It takes a long time for me to build friendships. This obviously leads me to have a very small circle of friends.
  • I can be annoyed but I do not like conflict/drama and would rather distance myself from you to avoid confrontation.
  • Just like I take after my father's personality, the people who talk to us the most are usually loquacious. And we both know a lot of people.
  • I am very observant and analytical. 
  • I like my privacy and do not like when someone is invading my personal space without permission.
  • I prefer one-on-one conversations than group conversations. If I know I might be selected to talk, 95% of time I get nervous (butterflies in my stomach....fast heartbeat). So NEVER pick me!!!!!!!!! :D
  • Just because you don't see me smiling doesn't mean something is wrong. I have never been a smiling person but I do like to laugh a lot. In the same way, you cannot assume  everyone that smiles is doing/feeling well.
  • The only time I feel lonely is in social settings (especially when I don't have anyone to talk to), including work. I adjust even though I don't like the feeling.
  • And yes I do get upset/angry (a common question I get asked because I appear calm - I believe every human does get angry when the right buttons are pushed)

I would say that a lot of people don't understand the mind of an introvert and don't bother to. I didn't for a long time. Society is more fond of extroverts. I wonder if that has always been the case or is it just America? From social gatherings, I have observed that people gravitate to the person who is full of energy and excitement (as if that should be the ONLY way to get people's attention). If you are seen as quiet or distant (e.g. ME), you are left alone as if he/she doesn't want to be bothered. Or is just me? It would be nice if people were more accepting of introverts so that those who do not want to talk, don't have to be under pressure to "appear" sociable. I know of at least 3 people who are more introverted than me in public and they appear "anti-social" but in my opinion, they are not by definition. They talk when they feel comfortable or if there is a need to. Simple! 

My main point is people should be allowed to be themselves with no judgment. There should be a balance of extroversion and introversion everywhere including TV. I think introverts are generally more interesting than extroverts (ambiverts are cool too). Probably because they think differently and are harder to figure out. Being an extrovert does have its perks but sometimes, being an introvert can be a disadvantage. I discovered that I am an introvert only a couple of years ago. It's the personality God wanted me to have so I'm cool with it. Never felt bad being introverted as I know nothing is wrong with introversion. It's society that is in the wrong.

As someone said, "Too many people live lives that don't suit them." So be comfortable with YOU.

Examples of Notable Introverts: President Obama, Albert Einstein, Bill GatesWarren Buffet, Mahatma Gandhi, Rosa Parks, Mark Zuckberg, Joel Osteen, Johnny Depp, Christiana Aguilera, JK Rowling

1 comment:

Thanks for leaving your feedback! Please feel free to leave a link to your blog as you post comments. Nice to know someone is reading this :)

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.