disclaimer

Disclaimer: I am not a medical doctor or a practicing nutritionist or in the agriculture industry, therefore any health-related or agriculture-related information posted on this blog should be verified on your own. I do not know it all and sometimes I might be wrong.

Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Widgets

Einkorn Wheat

Einkorn (literally pronounced "eye-corn") is an ancient species of wheat. It's obviously not very popular (which can be a plus). Bought this from Spec's. First time purchasing the actual grains, which are called wheat berries.
 
Here are some facts about Einkorn wheat:
  • It has never hybridized
  • Higher in protein, vitamins, and minerals (e.g. phosphorous, potassium) than modern wheat 
  • The dough characteristics are significantly inferior to modern wheat (I concur - I have baked with it and it's not exactly the same as using white or common wheat flour)
  • It has a light, rich taste in comparison to your typical common wheat bread
  • More adaptable to unprecedented climate change
  • It became widely distributed throughout the Near East, Transcaucasia, the Mediterranean region, southwestern Europe, and the Balkans.
  • Source: http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/proceedings1996/V3-156.html
I love this wheat in comparison to spelt and modern whole wheat. The company Jovial Foods Inc. seems to be the only brand currently selling products that use Einkorn flour. If you want to try ready-made einkorn flour, try Jovial foods. Used it once and the flour looks different. Available at certain Whole Foods.

The wheat berries - composed of the bran, germ, and endosperm.
Fresh einkorn flour after you grind the wheat berries.

Found this while browsing the Web and the differences are clear in color and texture between Jovial's Einkorn flour and using flour from milled wheat berries.

I will be using the fresh flour today!

3 comments:

  1. This Einkorn flour sound really good!

    Neeny x

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Einkorn Wheat looks so familiar! It looks like a kind of nut I just ate a few weeks ago but of course they're different from each other. Hahahaha! I would love to try those someday though, once I'm finally able to find time to bake. xx

    Roxanne ♥ | Awkward Turtle

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your feedback! Please feel free to leave a link to your blog as you post comments. Nice to know someone is reading this :)

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.