disclaimer

Disclaimer: I am not a medical doctor or a practicing nutritionist or in the agriculture industry, therefore any health-related or agriculture-related information posted on this blog should be verified on your own. I do not know it all and sometimes I might be wrong.

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Widgets

Music: J Cole

Disclaimer: I am not a music fanatic. I don't go out of my way to know every song and album in the genres I like the most. Growing up, my parents were not music fanatics and I did not have cable TV growing up so my interest of secular music did not develop until I was a teen. Music for me I think is like watching TV or a movie. Just for entertainment. I don't think I know the full lyrics to 99.9% of the songs I have heard more than 20 times. In other words, my ears listen more to the instrumentals than the lyrics.       

I just adore J Cole!!!! In spite of some other factors, I respect this guy because I like his mindset, his persona, his flow, his intelligence, his appreciation towards his fans, and he ain't too bad looking either (#TeamLightSkin lol). Also, he has a bachelor's degree and runs his own recording label, Dreamville. He isn't given as much attention as the other talentless, all-about-money rappers out there but he should amongst the hip-hop community. He deserves the attention and money they have, although he probably doesn't care for it. Otherwise I would put him in the useless category as the rest and this blog post won't exist. But he's real. Not conforming to the "system."



These are some of my favorite songs by J Cole. They each have a message but be warned, there is usage of explicit language:
  • Love yours - It's a reflection of J Cole's success. What I took out of it is you should always love your life. Because if today your life changes, for instance from broke to rich, at the end of the day, the wealth isn't what truly matters. It cannot sustain your happiness in life. It's your family and/or whoever is in your inner circle that care that matters. Being poor or broke has its own set of problems as well as being filthy rich.
  • G.O.M.D. - The song itself doesn't seem to tie into the music video. But the video reminds me of the movie Django UnchainedIt has several subliminal messages.
  • She Knows - Another song that doesn't relate to the music video. The video does contain real life situations…..kid skips school….Mom is caught cheating by the son but during dinner, it's like nothing ever happened.
  • Crooked Smile - Yes Jermaine's teeth are jacked up but I respect that he doesn't care about the feedback he gets regarding that or that his eyebrows are too thick. Now that's real! The music video on the other hand has nothing to do with his song but it's a powerful message.
  • Lost Ones - a message about the difficulty of deciding to abort a baby, raising a child, and pregnancy. I have not been in those shoes, but I know such matters are tough decisions.
There are other songs of his that I just love the instrumentals (e.g. Power Trip).

It would be so cool if J Cole were to do a collaboration with Lecrae since Lecrae has done with songs with folks like B.o.B, Paul Wall, etc. 

Off topic....these are just some of the rappers I CANNOT stand (aka useless category): Rick Ross, Lil Wayne, Drake, 2 Chainz, Waka Flocka Flame, Trinidad James, T-Pain, Wiz Khalifa. They send the same generic message. No substance or positive value added from their music. And yet, they somehow have #1 hits played all over the place. I have failed to see their true vocal talent. Anyone that enjoys any of their music (besides the instrumentals), please do not talk to me. Lol!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving your feedback! Please feel free to leave a link to your blog as you post comments. Nice to know someone is reading this :)

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.