disclaimer

Disclaimer: I am not a medical doctor or a practicing nutritionist or in the agriculture industry, therefore any health-related or agriculture-related information posted on this blog should be verified on your own. I do not know it all and sometimes I might be wrong.

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Widgets

My new favorite soup

I got the idea for this home-cooked soup from Youtube but I didn't make it with the same exact ingredients. I was going to try and use beef short ribs this time around but I was unable to go to the farmer's market as I no longer buy ANY meat from a grocery store.

It's yuca root with diced chuck roast beef, grape tomatoes, onions, garlic, fresh oregano, thyme, bay leaves, water, and olive oil.


If you are not familiar with what yuca looks like, here it is:


Some facts about Yuca Root:

  • Also called "Cassava"
  • Commonly used to make tapioca and tapioca flour
  • This vegetable is often prepared and served much like a potato as a side dish or added as an ingredient in soups and stews
  • Best to cook within a day or two after purchase. I have noticed that it will start to develop soft spots or spoil inside as more days pass by
  • Never eat raw
  • It is common in the Caribbean, Africa, Asia, Central America, and South America
  • It is a moderate source of some of the valuable B-complex group of vitamins such as folates, thiamin, pyridoxine (vitamin B-6), riboflavin, and pantothenic acid
  • It is one of the chief sources of some important minerals like zinc, magnesium, copper, iron, and manganese
  • It can be sliced, grated or pureed, sauteed, fried, boiled or stewed 

Quote of the day:

2 comments:

  1. I've never tried yuca root, not sure if I'm willing to try it haha
    That soup looks good, I don't eat soup unless its lentil soup :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, it's not popular with Americans either. But you can eat yuca in another form instead of as a soup though. It sort of similar to potatoes, if you like potatoes.

      Delete

Thanks for leaving your feedback! Please feel free to leave a link to your blog as you post comments. Nice to know someone is reading this :)

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.