It was a Women's Build. I went with a group of ladies from Ms Independent. There were 2 other males present besides the men builders. It was pretty neat to see how a home is built after the concrete slab is complete. First time raising walls. I have served with Habitat for Humanity two other times.
Photos from Habitat for Humanity:
Before we started……
The future owner (in the middle) of this home we're helping to build
First wall of the day

The red markings indicate where each wall stud goes. Pretty cool
Nail gun


First discovered Froberg's in 2013. If you pick a good month to go (March/April), their strawberries are sweeter and juicier! They are conventionally grown. Not sure how often they spray chemicals but I would really like to know the list of chemicals they spray and how often since strawberries are known to be heavily sprayed. Everytime I go, I always see many that are moldy though. Still looking for where to find locally grown organic strawberries.
[Update 4/4/2015: The owner of Froberg's said they spray the strawberries every 10 days with a fungicide. No pesticides are used. After the fungicide is sprayed, you cannot eat the strawberries until 6 hours later.]
Photos from Froberg's:
Acres and acres of strawberries. This is just 1 side.
Picked out 2 buckets of strawberries. RED, JUICY, and SWEET!!!










Hello Anna! Thank you so much for following my blog and for leaving a comment! :) I really appreciate it. ♥
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I really miss strawberry-picking! I went to Baguio and Sagada (located in the Philippines) when I was younger and strawberry-picking is one of the best experiences I had there! :) I would also want to volunteer in the Habitat for Humanity organization here in the Philippines because I would really love to help as much as I can. ♥
By the way, I really like your blog and I would love to support you so I followed you back on GFC! xx
Roxanne ♥ | Awkward Turtle
Hi Roxanne! Thanks for your feedback. I enjoy strawberry-picking as well. It's pretty neat to pick out the berries you want rather than going to the supermarket and buying it pre-packaged but have no idea who is the source, none of the employees can answer questions about it (just paid to sell), and it goes through a long process before it arrives to the store. U should totally volunteer for HfH if you can. Not sure if there is a branch there.
DeleteVolunteering is always great but I haven't done it in a while :)
ReplyDeleteThis sure does look like fun, I'd love to do something like this!
I used to go strawberry picking in my teens, seeing this post bought back some memories :)
You should! I enjoy it. I know not everyone does depending on the activity. But particularly, I like hands-on stuff like this.
DeleteNever picked fruits in my life until recently. Wish I did.
I love strawberry picking, I used to go with my family all the time when I was a kid :) and well done for volunteering, volunteer work is so incredibly rewarding as well as making you feel good!
ReplyDeletewww.amandasays.org.uk
Thanks Amanda! I do enjoy serving. It's fun!
Delete