disclaimer

Disclaimer: I am not a medical doctor or a practicing nutritionist or in the agriculture industry, therefore any health-related or agriculture-related information posted on this blog should be verified on your own. I do not know it all and sometimes I might be wrong.

Monday, June 8, 2015

Widgets

Last Organic Outpost

On Saturday, I finally went to volunteer with Last Organic Outpost, a sustainable, toxic-chemical-free farm located in the Fifth Ward of Houston. I've been wanting to visit after this happened. Mission Continues sponsored and assisted with Saturday's project, which was to build the rest of the aquaponics system. It will be used to grow a variety of vegetables, tilapia, and freshwater shrimp.


Here is an introduction about it:


Barrels of rainwater…The farm has a 11,000 gallon pond

Before photo:
A team of volunteers leveling the ground where the raceways for plant cultivation will be located
Carried center blocks to the raceway area, which will be used to provide leveling for the raceways

A team cut the liner into precise pieces, which will be used for the pond
Assisted with building the raceways. Got to drill in some screws into several pieces of wood


Coming together
Flipping a raceway the other way….very heavy
And taa-daa!! This is what it currently looks like

Good learning experience! I'll be back for sure. I walked around the farm and there are fig trees, squash, sunflowers, and several new plants that were added probably not too long ago. Some vegetables are late in the season.


Check them out: 
http://www.lastorganicoutpost.com/index.php/en/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lastorganicoutpost/ (This page gets updated more often)

2 comments:

  1. It certainly looks like you had your work cut out for you, Anna, but well done for volunteering! I'm sure they were so glad to have your help :)

    ♥.•*¨ Amanda Says ¨*•.♥

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your feedback! Please feel free to leave a link to your blog as you post comments. Nice to know someone is reading this :)

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.