disclaimer

Disclaimer: I am not a medical doctor or a practicing nutritionist or in the agriculture industry, therefore any health-related or agriculture-related information posted on this blog should be verified on your own. I do not know it all and sometimes I might be wrong.

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Widgets

Farm-to-table dinner

My first time and l loved it! This past Saturday was the farm-to-table dinner at Last Organic Outpost. I heard about it via Single's Man Kitchen facebook page. He is sort of an inspiration for me. Very knowledgeable about food, agriculture, and the food industry, which is what I would like to achieve. I have been actively following him on facebook for a year. So it was so awesome to see him!!! I really did want to introduce myself to him but felt too shy. I even rehearsed in my head what to say. Sighs....maybe another time.

Below are photos of the farm of which I will start volunteering at as soon as I am available:



 They have a beehive! Pretty cool. My guess is that those bees are used to pollinate crops that depend on bees to bear fruit and to improve the yield. Not sure if they also produce honey.

More greens are on their way

More plants

Not sure what the tall tree is. Maybe a banana tree?

Fig tree - growing really well

The chef's station. Love the concept of how food was prepared on-site

Next are photos of the 5-course meal we were served family-style:

Baguette slices from another vendor, chef-made lavash crackers with chef-made butter (it was definitely unique). I did not like the lavash (sour taste). To the left and right are 2 chef-made dressings (vinaigrette and yogurt-based dressing)

A variety of cheeses (smoked mozzarella, texas gold cheddar cheese, goat cheese, some other cheese), Castelveltrano Olives, prosciutto from Houston Dairymaids. Loved everything, except the olives. Too salty and gross! In the top center is a Microgreen salad with bell peppers, radishes, and cucumber.



Main course: butternut squash, sauteed sweet potato leaves and zucchini with braised lamb shank. Not much salt but LOVED IT!!! I wanted more :(


 Yogurt with persimmon and handpicked blueberries prepared by the chef. Had this twice. DELICIOUS!!!!

Creme brulee coffee (freshly brewed) with chef-made organic oatmeal cranberry cookies (I still think the one I make are better lol. It's probably just the flour used)


Besides the olives and lavash, everything was yummy! Real fresh food = good food!

So the main purpose of this dinner was to raise funds for Central City Co-op and the farm Last Organic Outpost. They are non-profit organizations. Initially I did not want to go if I was going alone but I told myself "you know what, who cares if I find no one to go with." Turned out to be an unregrettable decision. Stepped out of my comfort zone, met some down-to-earth, friendly people (got to love Houston for that) of different occupations, learned many new things, and had a good time. The person I chose to sit with actually felt the same way I did about coming to this event.


Looking forward to another farm-to-table dinner especially if it's with chef Jeremy Goodwin!

More photos are available here.

1 comment:

Thanks for leaving your feedback! Please feel free to leave a link to your blog as you post comments. Nice to know someone is reading this :)

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.