The famous Dunkin Donuts is removing this chemical from their powdered donuts. Here are the key things I took out from this article:
- Titanium dioxide is used to make the powdered sugar appear brighter. It is also used in sunscreen and paints. (SAY WHATTTTT???!!!) It is also used in makeup.
- Titanium dioxide is a nanomaterial, which is not regulated or prohibited by the Food and Drug Administration (not surprised as there are a million things that FDA could regulate or prohibit but they don't)
- A Dunkin Donuts executive said it has reformulated the powered sugar and was working on a schedule to roll out the new recipe
- As We Sow, a nonprofit organization that fights companies to be safe, just, and sustainable, is the group who pushed for this. (Well done folks! From the brief reading I did, it sounds like they are doing the work of the FDA to some extent)



I haven't heard about this before but I don't eat Dunkin Donuts
ReplyDeleteI don't really eat donuts, but if I do it's always from the supermarkets
Oh wow, that chemical is used in makeup and paints?!
Doesn't sound too good for us!
Neeny x
P.S. thanks so much for always leaving such sweet comments on my blog, I always love reading them :)
I loved Dunkin Donuts as a kid. Always enjoyed eating a donut. Don't remember when last I ate one though. And you're welcome!
DeleteJeez :/ luckily I'm not a big fan of donuts, although I do have them occasionally! It's always better to make food at home, as you know exactly what ingedients went in!
ReplyDeleteAmandaSays
Yup yup!! Some day I'll try to fry them from scratch using whole-grain flour(s) and see
DeleteHomemade donuts ARE yummy! My mum makes these mini ones that you fry and then dip in sugar. You need a lot of oil to fry them in though :) and they come with major calories haha!
ReplyDeleteAmandaSays