One problem with pre-packaged Shredded Cheese is some contain "wood pulp." The technical term for it is "cellulose." It is used as a food additive to prevent cheese from clumping. It can be derived from wood. Manufacturers grind up the wood and extract the cellulose. It can also be derived from plants. Apparently, cellulose has been used for years.
Can you freaking believe that ish??? Just visualize that for a few seconds....you're eating cheese with tiny particles of wood. Just disgusting. Now where exactly does that "cellulose" go in the body is what I want to know (when extracted from wood). This is what the FDA has to say about it. It is ok for human consumption in their books (*eyeroll*).
Can you freaking believe that ish??? Just visualize that for a few seconds....you're eating cheese with tiny particles of wood. Just disgusting. Now where exactly does that "cellulose" go in the body is what I want to know (when extracted from wood). This is what the FDA has to say about it. It is ok for human consumption in their books (*eyeroll*).
Another concern is the usage of a mold inhibitor. I have seen calcium sulfate and natamycin used. Calcium sulfate can be synthetically made or naturally sourced. It has many uses. So how does ANYONE know by looking at that cheese the sulfate is manufactured in the lab? Natamycin is an antibiotic drug used for medical treatment in humans and animals but somehow it is used as a food additive. Can be made into liquid or powdered form.
To me, the concept of pre-shredded cheese no longer makes any sense to buy. Immediately after finding this out, I have vowed to never purchase shredded cheese again. Don't care how long it takes, but if I need cheese, I will cut, shred, or grate it myself. When I am unable to finish it, I freeze it and defrost it at room temperature or in the fridge when needed. The price for convenience can really be ridiculous when you analyze it.
So stop buying shredded cheese. Buy cheese by the block and shred it or slice it yourself. Problem solved.
References:




French people like moldy cheese ewww I don't like cheese much in large quantity gives me the run so fromage je t'aime pas
ReplyDeletelol. Ahh, J'aime beaucoup de fromage!!!! I like the moldy ones too....well the edible ones, like blue cheese, etc. YUMMMMMMM!!!!
Delete