disclaimer

Disclaimer: I am not a medical doctor or a practicing nutritionist or in the agriculture industry, therefore any health-related or agriculture-related information posted on this blog should be verified on your own. I do not know it all and sometimes I might be wrong.

Sunday, October 26, 2014

Widgets

Fresh Roselle/Hibiscus tea

Never made this tea before and I don't think I have ever had it. Been procrastinating on making this for 2 weeks because I was too lazy to figure out how to properly make it. Plant It Forward Farms grow these flowers. I have actually seen them in person multiple times at the Braeswood location but I had no idea what they were called or how to use it.  




It is full of vitamin C and minerals. It can lower your blood pressure and has many other medicinal uses in other parts of the world. You can drink it hot or cold and serve sweetened or unsweetened. I drank it warm and added honey. It has a light tangy taste to it. I can definitely drink this all day.

Nigerians call it Zobo or Zoborodo.
Other West Africans call it bissap.
Caribbeans call it Sorrel.
Egyptians call it Karkade.
Latin Americans call it Agua de Jamaica.
And many other ethnicities have other names for it.


This is what is inside the calyx. The seeds 

After removing the seeds

Boiled it in 1 cup of filtered water

Filtered the liquid with a siege

Taa-daa! The tea (with raw honey) is ready



Reference Links:
https://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/roselle.html 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hibiscus_tea
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NU6dWLMNAw

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving your feedback! Please feel free to leave a link to your blog as you post comments. Nice to know someone is reading this :)

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.