disclaimer

Disclaimer: I am not a medical doctor or a practicing nutritionist or in the agriculture industry, therefore any health-related or agriculture-related information posted on this blog should be verified on your own. I do not know it all and sometimes I might be wrong.

Friday, October 10, 2014

Widgets

My meal planning for 10/11/14 - 10/25/14

It's that time again. Grocery weekend is here! I am still looking for whole foods that I like, are simple to make, and still taste ok a day later or when reheated but it is a balanced meal. That is still a difficult task I am working on. Neither I am gifted in culinary nor do I have a passion for cooking. I, however, have a passion for eating for nourishment (my definition of healthy eating). I depend on recipes because I was not taught how to eat properly for the body or cooking techniques. There are very few things I can cook without a recipe and it takes me forever to finish cooking several meals in a day (another struggle). Also, I am too afraid to prepare a new food and it doesn't turn out right.

Back to meal planning......I feel like I still don't get enough vegetables in my meals. I think starting this weekend, I will incorporate a green salad or green non-dairy/no-sugar smoothies. Let's see how this goes. I like salads but it's best when freshly made so the only time I can eat it is during dinner time. I occasionally do the green smoothie when I remember.

I think it would be so cool if workplaces could add a full kitchen close to the break room area that way someone like me can have freshly cooked food for lunch! Lol, random thought. But...guess what? I just found that this idea exists and is possible if employers are willing to make it happen. There are some foods that only taste great once it comes off the stove or oven. Reheating food in the microwave just isn't the same. Reheating on the stovetop is much more better. Ohhhhhhhh and imagine if every workplace had a garden or nearby community garden? The cafeteria employees can work the garden (if on-site) and sell the harvest. Or the employees can volunteer at the garden for 60 minutes in a week. It can be a teambuilding exercise. SEE!!! There are solutions to solving America's food crisis. People just need to invest the time and money and say GOODBYE to the f-ed food-related businesses (or at least reduce them by 80%). Also, it should be a mandatory law in the US that all employees are entitled to "siesta" time of an hour. Shoot! In Spain, Japan, Middle East, and others, some businesses shut down from 2 pm to 5 pm to allow rest.

The following are meals I tentatively have planned for the next 2 weeks:
Creamy Kale Salad (need a side dish??)
Cuban rice and beans (will use brown rice instead of white rice)
Seasoned potatoes with meatloaf and boiled/sauteed vegetables
Pasta e Fagiolo type-of-soup (whole grain pasta with vegetables of choice)
Baked plantains with sauteed vegetables (staple dinner)
Snacks: Lemon pound cake (with only whole grain flour), Granola, fresh fruits
***Bear in mind that I do not follow the recipe exactly as it is all the time. I look at the reviews, which have suggestions. For example, if the recipe calls for mayonnaise, I will always make it it from scratch (quick to make).

If you are wondering how to start on how to start a lifetime journey to healthy eating, this site has good tips, which I concur with for the most part. It's almost like what I have done subconsciously. For instance, reducing my intake of unhealthy foods has literally made me almost not think about them. The thought comes up more if I see it at home since my sis continues to buy unhealthy foods or parents' home. For the most part, I resist. But generally I don't crave for unhealthy foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving your feedback! Please feel free to leave a link to your blog as you post comments. Nice to know someone is reading this :)

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.